August 27, 2012: Jay Vijayan, Vice President, IT & Business Applications of Tesla Motors
- Jay’s role at Tesla Motors and how Tesla operates in a fast-paced, innovative environment, and seeks to change the way in which automotive companies operate
- The relationship IT has with development teams, and how IT collaborates on providing the necessary infrastructure to enable teams to develop quickly and efficiently
- How all of Tesla’s business-critical applications for core functions are home-grown, and how this enables Tesla to be flexible and agile
- How Tesla is providing a comprehensive customer experience through the use of analytics, mobile applications, and more
- Eye on Trends: Cloud computing, and how it provides more flexibility and allows the organization to easily manage, maintain, and provision software to employees, particularly as the organization grows
Jay Vijayan’s Biography
Jay is the Vice President of IT and Business Applications for Tesla Motors. Jay and his team are responsible for infrastructure, operations, security and business applications for all of Tesla including support of engineering groups, corporate business groups and the global sales, marketing and service organizations. Jay works with all the company’s groups to identify opportunities, to structure IT solutions, and to deliver measurable returns to the business.
Before joining Tesla Jay was the Sr. Director, IT Business Applications for VMware. In that capacity, Jay led the Applications Development of all business applications for VMware during a period of dramatic growth for the company, as it jumped from $700 million to $3.77 billion in annual revenue during the period between 2007 and 2012. Prior to his time at VMware, Jay held a variety of Applications Management positions at Oracle.
Jay has a master’s degree from the University of Madras.