August 11, 2014: Rich Karlgaard, Publisher of Forbes Magazine
Among other topics, Rich discusses the following issues with Metis Strategy:
- How he came up with the idea for his new book, The Soft Edge, while chatting with Fred Smith, CEO of Fedex, and how Smith included CIOs in strategic, board-level discussions as early as the 80s
- How companies can enhance their overall performance, survive setbacks, and better leverage data and analytics through cultural development
- Northwestern Mutual’s impressive culture of trust
- Rich’s career path, from security guard to publisher of Forbes
- Eye on the Trends: The evolution of Forbes and other legacy media companies in the Google Age
Rich Karlgaard’s Biography:
Rich has served as the Publisher of Forbes magazine since 1998. In addition to his role at Forbes, Rich serves as an Advisor at Rocket Ventures and as a Member of the Advisory Board of Prometheus Investment Group. He is also a Co-Founder of Garage Technology Ventures LLC and currently serves on its Board of Directors, along with serving on the Boards of New EA, Intelius and MobShop.
Prior to his current role as Publisher of Forbes, Rich served as the Editor of Forbes ASAP in concert with writer and futurist George Gilder and Forbes’ CEO Steve Forbes. Prior to this role, he co-founded and edited Upside magazine and also co-founded the 6500 member business and technology forum in Silicon Valley, the Churchill Club. In addition, Rich co-founded garage.com, which later became Garage Technology Ventures, a web-based startup capital firm, in 1997 with Guy Kawasaki and Craig Johnson.
In 1997, for his efforts in founding the Churchill Club, Rich was named a Northern California winner of the Ernst & Young “Entrepreneur of the Year” award. In 1998, he was named to Upside magazine’s Elite 100 in the computer and communications industries. Rich also serves as a regular panelist on Forbes on FOX and as an analyst on CNBC’s The Kudlow Report. He was also the author of Life 2.0: How People Across America Are Transforming Their Lives by Finding the Where of Their Happiness, a Wall Street Journal business bestseller, in 2004 and more recently The Soft Edge: Where Great Companies Find Lasting Success, which released in 2014.
Rich holds a Bachelor’s degree in Political Science from Stanford University.