Among other topics, Carl discusses the following issues with Metis Strategy:
- The need to set personal goals, establish relationships with peers, and cultivate an environment of success around you in order to progress in one’s career
- The importance of providing meaningful evaluations and cross-functional learning opportunities in order to grow one’s team
- How, in order to reach the strategy setting table, CIOs must make technology understandable, speak the financial language of the business, and have a firm grasp of how the company makes its money, especially relative to its industry
- The growing shift from IT as a cost center to critical value contributor of the company that can take data and information and turn it into knowledge
- Eye on the trends: Consumerization of IT, the convergence of business and technology processes, the potential of mobility, and the criticality of analytics in the growth of corporations
Carl Wilson’s Biography
Until March 31, 2011, Carl was executive vice president and CIO of Marriott International. In that role, Carl used leading-edge technology to advance the global presence of this $13+ billion company with 3,600 hotels across 70+ countries.
Prior to his time at Marriott, Carl served as CIO and Vice President of Information Resources for Georgia-Pacific Corporation, where he standardized disparate systems during a period of multiple acquisitions. Prior to that, Carl was senior vice president of Management Information Services with CIO responsibilities for the Pillsbury Company, which subsequently was acquired by Grand Metropolitan, PLC.
Carl has received multiple recognitions, including his induction into the CIO Hall of Fame in 2007. He also sits on numerous boards, including those of Global eXchange Services, Inc. and Business Technology Management Corporation.
Carl is a graduate of the University of Minnesota’s Executive Program (M.E.P.), and also earned a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from Indiana University.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | Email | Google Podcasts | Spotify | | More