Among other topics, George discusses the following issues with Metis Strategy:
- Marriott’s place among the highest revenue earners by a digital channel
- The maturity curve and the challenge of disruption for incumbent companies
- Advantages that incumbents have over startups in evolving industries
- Disrupting your own organization
- The millennial mindset that spans across multiple age demographics
- Leading and managing a transforming organization
- The impact of Airbnb on the hospitality industry
- Adapting across an organization to fundamental shifts in customers’ needs and expectations
- The influence of culture and existing operating models on a company’s management of digital disruption
- Marriott’s embracement of the localization of the travel experience
- Characteristics of a successful Chief Digital Officer
- Building alliances and coalitions to drive and support change
- Using pilot programs to de-risk change for internal and external partners
- Messaging as a service, not marketing
George Corbin’s Biography
George is the Senior Vice President of Digital for Marriott International, a $17 billion hospitality company. George is responsible for Marriott.com and Marriott Mobile, which last year accounted for over $13 billion in gross combined digital sales. He is also leading the effort to digitally transform the on-property guest experience across Marriott’s almost 6,000 properties in over 100 countries.
Prior to his current position, George was Vice President of Global E Commerce at Marriott. Before joining the Marriott organization, George was the Managing Director and VP of iXL/Scient, a global internet consulting agency.
George earned an MBA from Harvard Business School and a bachelor’s degree from the University of California, Davis.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download