Among other topics, Joe discusses the following issues with Metis Strategy:
- A description of HudBay Minerals’ metals mining business and the impactful role technology plays in enabling the company’s push for growth
- His priorities for the near term around perfecting their newly rolled out ERP, leveraging geological survey and discovery technology, as well as improving wireless communication for their many disparate operations
- How, as a CIO in a new industry, Joe utilized a company-wide survey to understand the true perception of IT across the organization
- The inclusive governance model that HudBay uses to ensure that all the right players are included in decision making
- HudBay’s organizational structure that has a central CIO function, central architecture, and shared services for IT infrastructure
- Eye on the trends: Technology that supports all mining operations, especially the geophysical exploration technology, growing ease and power of improved communications, and the further out potential for robotics to reduce costs amid rising fuel and labor costs
Joe AbiDaoud’s Biography
Joe is the CIO at Toronto-based metals mining company HudBay Minerals. In that capacity, Joe supports more than 1,400 employees, with the majority of them in Flin Flon, a long time mining community in northern Manitoba where copper and zinc ore are extracted from a mine a mile underground.
Prior to his time at HudBay, Joe was the Head of IT at Direct Energy Home & Business Services. His past experience also includes time as a Senior Consultant at Keane Canada, as a Senior Analyst at AT&T Canada, and as an Analyst at ScotiaBank.
In 2011 Joe received a Computer World Premiere Top 100 Leadership award. In 2009 he was named a Top 25 CTO by CW Magazine and was recognized by the magazine for a Top 100 IT Project.
Joe has an Engineering diploma from St. Mary’s University and a Technology diploma from The Information Technology Institute.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download