Among other topics, Mike discusses the following issues with Metis Strategy:
- How IT can no longer run as a silo, and that IT needs to understand business strategy and be aligned with other parts of the organization, particularly with marketing and product functions at Netflix
- How current IT organizations need broader communication skills, as IT is no longer a cost center to the CFO, but needs to interface and integrate with marketing, products, and other parts of the organization
- How Netflix attempts to remain on the bleeding edge of technology, and how being located in Silicon Valley and maintaining contact with venture capitalists helps in this regard
- How IT needs to avoid saying no, and adopt the posture of saying yes or figuring ways to solve problems by having an “IT as a service” mentality
- How the multitude of devices used in the workplace leads to the convergence of data to the cloud, and the subsequent challenges in ensuring data security
- Eye on Trends: Social and mobile, and how they will enable seamless collaboration anytime at anyplace
Mike Kail’s Biography
Mike Kail is the Vice President of IT Operations at Netflix, a provider of on-demand Internet streaming media and flat rate DVD-by-mail delivery. Mike leads a team of more than 115 employees in his organization.
Prior to his time at Netflix, Mike was the Vice President of IT Operations at Attensity, a social analytics company, where he was responsible for various big data components as well as the integration of Americas and the Europe, Middle East and Asian IT teams.
Mike is on the customer advisory boards of Box, Sumo Logic, OneLogin, and Context Relevant.
Mike has a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science from Iowa State University.