- Steve’s role as the Chief Information Officer of FINRA, where he leads a 1,100-person organization.
- FINRA’s switch to open-source, which was designed to handle the massive amounts of data, as well as their increasing focus on machine learning.
- How FINRA partnered with organizations such as Amazon, Cloudera, and Hortonworks during its transition to the public cloud.
- FINRA’s ability to attract talent through displaying their innovative environment, attending conferences, hosting events, and winning awards.
- A look into the DC metro area’s highly skilled IT market, which holds one of the highest concentration of data centers and internet providers in the country.
- The advantages of transitioning to the public cloud, including leveraging Moore’s Law, improved cybersecurity, and the ability to pay for the service on-demand.
- The financial advantages FINRA realizes with cloud computing, including ability to increase data volumes while simultaneously reducing cloud costs.
- Steve’s belief that the CIO has not changed much, and that successful IT team looks for innovative solutions that the business could not otherwise find.
- Eye on the trends: Robotics and automation.
Steve is the Chief Information Officer of FINRA, a non-governmental organization that regulates member brokerage firms and exchange markets, such as the New York Stock Exchange. As CIO, Steve focuses on building surveillance systems that assist the company’s staff in examining firms and regulating the markets.
Prior to FINRA, Steve was the Co-CIO at Citibank. Before Citibank, Steve was the Executive Vice President, Chief Information Officer, and the Head of Operations and Technology of the NASDAQ. Prior at the NASDAQ, Steve held the same roles at the Chicago Stock Exchange. Before the Chicago Stock Exchange, Steve worked as a Managing Principal at IBM. Steve began his career with KPMG.
Steve received his Bachelors of Science in Computer Science from Northern Illinois University and his MBA from the University of Chicago’s Booth School of Business.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download